Cleaning, Shooting, Maintenance &
The instruction manual for the IMI UZI 9mm carbine is almost impossible to find. Neither UZI
America nor Mossberg have manuals available for sale. Therefore, in the overriding interest of
gun safety, you can download a PDF version of the manual. Should the fine people at UZI
America or Mossberg have any objections to a copy of this manual being available for download,
please contact David Levy at Software Maintenance, Inc.
This Website is owned and operated by Software Maintenance, Inc.
Safety first! Clear and check your weapon whenever
you receive it, before stripping it, handing it to others,
putting it down or storing it.
Clear and Check Procedure:
(As demonstrated in UWS's video "Shooting the UZI the Israeli Way").
Finger on the trigger guard at all times.
Put the selector on Safe.
Remove the magazine.
Put the Selector on Fire.
Rack the cocking knob back and forth to clear the chamber.
While holding the bolt back, inspect the chamber to verify that it is empty.
Release the bolt.
Pull the trigger.
Put the selector on Safe.
Weight loaded 9.5 lbs
Length (stock folded/stock extended) 31.5 inches / 24 inches
Barrel Length 16 inches
Ammunition 9mm Ball or Hollow Point
The UZI strips into 7 components:
- Receiver Cover
- Bolt Assembly
- Return Spring
- Striker Assembly (do not remove the spring from the Striker Assembly)
- Barrel Retain Nut
- Main Assembly
Diagram of stripped UZI
The UZI strips very easily.
To remove the Barrel:
- Depress the Barrel Retaining Nut Catch.
- Unscrew the barrel
To remove the Receiver Cover:
- Hold down the rear of the Receiver Cover.
- Depress the Cover Latch (located in front of the rear sight).
- Remove the Cover Latch by lifting upward and rearward.
Removing the Bolt and Striker Assembly:
- Lift the Bolt and Striker Assembly up about 1 inch and press the Assembly backwards about
inch. The entire Assembly should then be lifted up and out.
- Remove the Striker Assembly by pulling it out of the Bolt. (REMEMBER - do not remove the
spring attached to the Striker Assembly.
- The Return Spring can be removed from the Bolt.
To Assemble just reverse the above steps. Remember, the UZI was made to be stripped in hostile
environments. It strips and assembles very easily. You should not have to use too much force to
strip or assemble this weapon.
The Uzi Carbine shoots best when it is held in a five point system:
1) One hand on the fore-end.
2) One hand on the pistol grip.
3) Your cheek firmly placed against the extended stock.
4) Pull your elbows down and in.
5) Fore-end gripping forearm pressed against the bottom of the
This provides a very stable platform as outlined in UWS's video "Shooting the
UZI the Israeli Way" Phone 203-266-5467 part # VSU100
Return to Table of Contents
Last Updated October 9, 1999 by David Levy